Wednesday, May 09, 2007

No Questions Asked?

So my blog has been a tad fluffy lately which is all fine and good but today for no reason but a song I heard on the radio I have a few serious thoughts to share. The song was titled River of Peace. The chorus went like this:

Ours is not to question why,
Ours is just to live and try
To settle for the answer, whatever it might be.
Until we see You face to face in another time and place
Where the river of Your peace runs free.


Really, no questions? Am I taking it too literal-- Do not question God? In the midst of despair and confusion can we not throw our hands up in the air and cry out "Why?" It seems like a tall order to just settle for the answer without doing a bit of wrestling with God, our faith, ourselves.
I suppose this song is saying that in this life we will not always fully understand the answers to our "Why?"questions.

Why does my does my dear sweet aunt have ALS, why are little children taken from their parents at a young age, why does one family continue to suffer and other families never seemingly struggle, why, why, why?

Is it a sign of small faith to question, or a natural response because of human incapacity to know God's ultimate plan? This is what I ponder today. This song reminds me of another fave Hymn.

When peace Like a river attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, thou has taught me to say,
It is Well, It is Well with my Soul.


And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.


10 comments:

MiniMe Mom said...

This is a good question. I admit I throw up my hands in despair and say, "Why God?" more often than I would like to admit. I am not sure-for instance, with Sam Post- we will ever understand the why's of life.

I love that song, and the history of it.

Old School said...

I like reading Job, especially Job 38 through Job 42 (42:3,Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.)

God is simply to big for us to understand and he (only he) knows what's best.

Old School said...

PS no more serious blogs, thanks

Michelle said...

I appreciate your serious post, Raging Cow, I knew you had it in ya.

Anonymous said...

I believe it is ok to ask God why and yet still believe in His sovereign plan.We will not always receive answers or understand in this life but if we don't trust Him and His will for those He loves we will live in fear and doubt.We will understand someday!
Read II Cor 4:16-18

Anonymous said...

Pleaase read the http://footin.blogspot.com/ May 10 posting, Thank you

Triplet Mom said...

I ask "Why?" all the time, but my faith isn't any weaker. It's hard being a "small child" and not understanding God's plan. That doesn't mean I don't trust in His plan.

Anonymous said...

Remember when you were a kid and you always asked you dad, why? Lots of times he knew why but you were too young to really understand. He would do his best to explain to you but realized it would not be until you were much older that you would comprehend the real answer. Your heavenly Father is much like that and even to a greater extent. Your Dad and you Father in Heaven did not mind you asking why, it shows you care and trust his answers.

Anonymous said...

Chelle,
Now I know your problem....you "trusted Fig's answers?"

MiniMe Mom said...

I actually love the way Fig put it. I have never thought about it that way. Go figure.