Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Farm Girls

This is what my daughter Joy calls the classic show Little House on the Prairie.

Since I have been worn out and prone to nausea lately Joy and I have made a new habit of sitting down and watching the "farm girls" in the afternoon.

Why is this show so timeless? Why do I wish that I lived in that simpler time even though it was probably anything but.

I didn't grow up on a farm, but lived in farm country complete with farm smells and the dirt road on which my parents bought their first home. For some reason I have tricked myself into believing that country life=easy life, or better life. After all you do not have the temptation of retail stores galore only a short 10 minute drive away. In the country there were no perfect lawns, no Starbucks, no keeping up with the Jones's because the Jones's were just as poor as you. Ok, now I sound like a Country song.

Do you ever wonder what it would be like to live outside of suburbia, away from the land of AYSO, car-pools, and mega-churches? I do.

The simple life is not exclusive to farm girls, it is a lifestyle I think anyone can adopt. One that seems more prudent to me as the years go by.
Look Dad, I'm growing up.

Do enjoy the Little House Clip---The Richest Man in Walnut Grove


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Classic Little House. I used to love that show....part of me still does. I watched it religiously. By the way, I can give a good arguement for living urbanly (not suburbanly). :)

Michelle said...

Hi Laura, your photos of Seattle are the best argument for how beautiful urban living is. :) Is it weird that I could see myself living a simple country life but feel absolutely thrilled when I'm in an urban setting? Or, that in actuality , I am right here in the middle of the two? hmmm...random thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Love the video clip - it reminds me of my dad... He often said, "Any job that needs doing is worth doing well." Poor Nellie - still a brat after all these years!
It was great to see and your kids at Johnny's game today. Glad to know you and Joy are enjoying LHOTP together every day. Good memories of Laura and me :)

Triplet Mom said...

Pa always knows the perfect thing to say.
If it only came that easy to the rest of us.

I love how a slap can cause a bloody nose! Ha!

denise said...

Sat here by my computer and welled up with tears at the video clip. Never realized how great that show was when I was younger I guess. Oh to have the wisdom of Pa and the tenacity of Laura. What time is it on?

tami said...

Would Pa really have condoned the fighting?

Anonymous said...

I am in awe that anyone watches that show!

Sonny Huisman said...

One of the best shows of all times!

Loved the clip!

Is it me, or does Chelle look just like Miss Beattle?

Unknown said...

I also love the show....but I don't know if living in the country makes life any less hectic.
I would say that we live in the country....no neighbors, corn in the front yard, don't have the best lawn seeing how 99% of it is weeds, boys peeing whereever they want without knowing the difference, the smell of animals at all times, and of course the flies. I hate the flies.

Instead of being ten minutes away, we're 25 minutes. We still love the shopping, do AYSO, go to the Mega-Church. We just have a longer drive and spent alot more money on gas.