Tuesday, September 18, 2007

WHY CAN'T YOU JUST LOVE EACH OTHER ?!

My mother cried out circa 1987.

Twenty years ago my brother, sister and I (primarily my brother and I) got into a real knockdown drag out fight. Kicks and punched were exchanged.
I like to think I won the battle.
Perhaps that was the day my mother cried out in utter frustration,

"Why can't you just love each other?!"
It stopped me in my tracks. I don't know if it was what she said, or how she said it. Rarely do I remember my mom being that upset, that fed-up with us. I remember struggling for some mouthy come back to her loud rhetorical question. I had nothin', I was speechless. She was right. Why couldn't we just act liked we loved each other? Why did we have to argue, kick, and scream? What was our problem?

Fast forward to 2007. This month has been a long one. Adjusting to pregnancy with all the hormones it brings, kids in school and soccer, busy work schedule for Dan (thank God!) have all combined into a whirlwind of activity and moments of mania. My kids have felt the stress and have been fighting more than usual. In a particular moment of desperation I searched the file cabinet of my memory to find a good motherly statement that would surely stop my children from practically ripping each other's hair out.

"Why can't you just love each other?!" I exclaimed (yelled)

It had the same effect 20 years later. They looked at me unable to respond, and they stopped fighting. I like to think then and there they knew that God created them as family not mortal enemies.

Use it. Love it. Thank Judy for this little thought provoking phrase.


This photo is from the 80s. No, my mother doesn't sport the sweet southwestern blazer anymore. ;)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to try this...My kids are very stubborn though. This will be a great experiment!

Here's what I'm expecting, "We do love each other! We're just frustrated...and Austin's mean!"

Marva's "Marvalous" Memories said...

Great line Judy!! Too bad it's not that simple, huh?

Anonymous said...

Was that the fight when Stacey was crying watching you two fight? THAT is a funny story.

Michelle said...

Oh that was THE fight alright. good times.

It was all about who got to watch what they wanted to on TV and it went downhill from there.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it was a fight between Rocky or Little House. I can see the problem. HA!

Anonymous said...

Jude's coat reminds me of the "Coat of many colors" I am supprised Ross and Chelle did not throw her down a well.

Anonymous said...

So Stacey since you seem to have been a witness to the fight who really won?

Laurie said...

Would this be a form of using Dutch CRC guilt in a good way? :)

Kind of like when my dad would stop us cold when we were on a roll teasing someone and he'd say, "Does it make you feel better to put someone else down?" GULP. That worked every time too.

Anonymous said...

That's what I've been trying to tell everyone,

Old School said...

Rodney King sure kept everyone quiet

Old School said...

Chelle,
my wife wants to borrow your 80's outfit, we got invited to another Paaaaaaartaaaaaay.