Sunday, September 30, 2007

my fig-sized baby.

I decided to start reading some info about this little one growing just beneath the surface. I was astonished to read that at the beginning of the second trimester, so much development has already occurred. As I have been going about my daily routine God's gift of life is growing. I'm not doing anything, it is just happening! I feel as if I am experiencing this for the first time. Here is some info about what is happening inside a busy uterus.

How your baby's growing:
Your fig-sized baby is now fully formed — measuring 1 1/2 inches long and weighing in at a quarter of an ounce. His skin is still transparent, allowing many of his blood vessels to show through. Some of his bones are beginning to harden, and tiny toothbuds are starting to appear under his gums. His fingers and toes have separated, and he may soon be able to open and close his fists. He's already busy kicking and stretching, and his tiny movements are so fluid they look like water ballet. These movements will increase as his body grows and becomes more developed and functional. As his diaphragm develops, your tiny tenant may also start to get the hiccups. Because he's still so small, though, you won't feel any of his workouts or intrauterine gulps until sometime between weeks 16 and 20.

How big is a fig anyway?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

About 6'4" and 235 lbs. You must be frickin' HUGE!

Dana said...

Figs are larger than life, we all know that.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I get live vicariously thru my pregnant bloggers!

I can't believe how much is going on in there!

Anonymous said...

Last week on the National Geographics channel there was a show called "In the Womb". It was all about what happened from the time of conception to birth. I found it very interesting and informative. If it is on again I will let you know. I was amazed and for some reason I could not stop watching it, even though I had other things to get done around the house.

Old School said...

Fig is wee sized

denise said...

Not sure how big a fig is but that precious one growing inside is amazing! What an awesome God we serve! Love you, Mom aka Merma

Anonymous said...

When you have a "fig-sized" baby you better leave plenty of room for his brain.

Laurie said...

Pregnancy is amazing. And the only time I ever read the word "fig" is either reading the Bible or your blog. :)

MiniMe Mom said...

Maybe you might share some pictures of your fig?

Old School said...

Nice Poll

Anonymous said...

Tami