Thursday, November 30, 2006

Praise HIM in this Storm?

Spaced out, absent minded, brain farts, whatever you want to call it---that's me this week.

My mind has been elsewhere. Thinking about matters of great gravity has caused me to do some really silly things. Today alone, I have drove past the driveway where I needed to drop off the car-pool kids, left a diaper on my child all afternoon---(she's potty trained), and worst of all, this morning I sent my older son to school sportin' his younger brother's jeans---(they are not at all the same size) only to discover the discrepency when Chase was stepped off the bus. Oh, and I've been wearing my scarf all day, indoors. Why so distracted?

Segue to seriousness...

Our church and school community is hurting this week following the death of a little boy. His own mother spoke at his funeral and I have not been able to think about much else. Where do we find the strength when something like this happens in our lives? How is a devastated mother able to give God the glory when her son is gone? I am scared at the thought of my weakness, that my faith would not be as strong, my attitude bitter, and my will to go on extinguished. When I think about Theresa I truly want what she has--a real faith, a genuine dependence on God, and the ability to praise Him during the biggest storm one could face. How do I get from where I am to where I want to be, where God wants all of us to be? Does it have to take a tragedy or a life changing moment? Can it be just a daily journey? Jamie and I were chatting about this very thing today. I want to be a Christian that can truly say God is Good, All The Time.

3 comments:

MiniMe Mom said...

I think that is the big struggle for me this week as well. If, God forbid, anything like this ever happened to me, would I be as full of hope, peace, and grace? Someone who lost their child a year ago to leukemia left a message on Sam's carepage. They said, "Don't ever stop talking to God, even if that means yelling at Him sometimes." I can imagine I would do a lot of yelling.

Dana said...

At least 1/3 of the Psalms are laments--David and the other authors asking God tough questions, sometimes in a not-so-nice way. Christ himself cried out to God in his suffering...

Yes, praise God in the midst of grief, but also know that Jesus has felt and knows our pain and will hear and comfort us when our grief and pain overwhelm us.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could show the strength that Theresa displayed as she spoke of her dear child if that would happen to me.But I am also reminded of a story told by Max Lucado in his book Traveling Light where he says that just as a father doesn't give a child his airline ticket ahead of time but just before he boards the plane, our Father gives us Grace just at the right time when we need it. I'm sure Theresa would testify to that.She is a great example of faith and God's love to us all. God will use her in many peoples lives. We must keep praying for her and the family