Sunday, May 30, 2010

April's Garden


A few weeks back Dan and I were sitting at the dining room table and he said he had been thinking about creating a garden...  April's garden.   I loved that he came up with the idea.

I missed most of the month of April when everything on earth was coming to life.    I couldn't see the beauty of spring through my tears and swollen eyes.    Dan suggested that we make a garden that would include spring blooms such as tulips, daffodils, and other spring bloomers.  So next year in April 2011,  we could have something beautiful for our eyes to see while we remember the sadness of our loss. 

Yesterday that thought became action.   We took the kids to the greenhouse and had them each pick out a perrennial that would bloom each year.   They took special care in choosing their plant for April's garden.   Each one choosing a plant of a different color.


Dan and I choose a tree that would bloom pink flowers in early April.  The tree,  is named Pink Princess.   Joy thought it was particularly appropriate,  Drew was annoyed that is was pink.   So typical.

A most precious piece in the garden is the stone adorned with a mosaic pattern (pictured above).   A gift from our dear friends the VanDams.  Thank you so much! --It is will be a lifelong treasure. 

I look forward to spring 2011 for so many reasons... this garden is one of them.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

very nice!!! I love that you got the kids involved and let them pick out a special plant for April. What a great way to celebrate April all year around.

You're welcome for the stone, we're glad that you like it. Thank YOU for letting us being a part of this.

I can't wait to see the garden in person.

Mom H said...

I absolutely love April's Garden! What a very special way to remember her precious life as part of the family. Dan is awesome to think of it and do it. It looks great Dan! I can't wait to see it and add a little something. The stone from the VanDam's is beautiful! Love Mom

natalie said...

it's beautiful chelle! I love that you did this together as a family, and what a special way to remember April! I can't wait to stop over and see it. Have a good day my friend.

tami boomsma said...

I love this idea, Chelle! I wish I could watch it bloom with you :-)